From the NYT:
The government safety net was created to keep Americans from abject poverty, but the poorest households no longer receive a majority of government benefits. A secondary mission has gradually become primary: maintaining the middle class from childhood through retirement. The share of benefits flowing to the least affluent households, the bottom fifth, has declined from 54 percent in 1979 to 36 percent in 2007, according to a Congressional Budget Office analysis published last year.
- Resurrection of the Welfare Queen
- Welfare Drug Testing Bill Withdrawn After Amended To Include Testing Lawmakers
- Food Stamp President is Code for N-Word President
- Repug code words: Obama is the “Food Stamp President;” Reality: 70% of Welfare and Public Assistance Recipients are White
- Catholic Leaders Call On Gingrich And Santorum To ‘Stop Perpetuating Ugly Racial Stereotypes’ About Poverty
- 10 Shocking Quotes From Ron Paul’s Newsletter